Your Neighborhood School in North Philadelphia
Welcome to Mastery Charter Frederick Douglass Elementary, recognized by the School District of Philadelphia for 5 consecutive years of academic growth! (SPR 2018-19)
We’re a neighborhood school serving grades K-8 in North Philadelphia.
When you walk through our doors, you can feel the students’ joy and excitement to learn, as well as the love our teachers and school leaders have for every child in the building. We pride ourselves on challenging our students academically and educating the whole child. That means along with the core classes of math, science and reading, we focus on the core values of respect, responsibility, hard work, teamwork and kindness.
Students who attend Douglass Elementary have the opportunity to attend our Simon Gratz High School, giving them a full K-12 Mastery experience.
- Students come to school on time, dressed in full uniform excited to start their day.
- Free breakfast!
- After breakfast, teachers welcome students to class and begin the morning meeting.
- Reading is very important, especially for students in grades K-2 when they are just learning how to read. That’s why our younger students have at least 2-3 hours of reading lessons each day.
- In addition to reading, students have math, social students and science classes.
- Time for lunch!
- After lunch, students in the lower grades have free play or a structured recess.
- In addition to our core classes, students also take physical education, music or a foreign language.
- Once the school day is over, it’s time for after-school clubs and our optional aftercare program.
Aftercare and a variety of after-school activities, sports and clubs are available, including:
Some examples include:
- Academic Enrichment
- Art Club
- Arts and Crafts
- Board Game Club
- Boys Club
- Cooking Zone
- Creative Writing Club
- Fitness Training
- Games Club
- Gardening Club
- Homework Support
- Reading Enrichment
- Yoga Club
Frederick Douglass Elementary serves students in North Philadelphia who live in the school’s attendance zone within the 19121 zip code.
The school cannot enroll students living outside of its attendance zone, even if they reside within the listed 19121 zip code. Click here to see the Douglass attendance zone map.
Life at DouglassView Gallery
Akeere Scott-Mack, Principal
Akeere Scott-Mack began her career in education more than 15 years ago teaching science and literacy at Freire Charter High School. During that time she was the cheerleading coach, grade team lead and became one of the founding teachers of Freire Charter Middle School. Ms. Scott-Mack’s career with Mastery started in 2014 as an Apprentice School Leader at Mastery’s Pickett Campus.
She attended Cheyney University where she majored in general science and The Lincoln University where she received three master’s degrees with concentrations in early childhood education, elementary education and educational leadership.
Ms. Scott-Mack has high expectations for all students and pours love into every student she encounters. Outside of work, Ms. Scott-Mack enjoys taking road trips with her niece to South Carolina, where she’s originally from, to visit her parents.
- Born and raised in Summerton, South Carolina
- Favorite hobbies are cooking and shopping
- Currently reading- Breakthrough Principals
- Loves french fries
Kimber Mitchell, Assistant Principal of Operations
Bob Victor, Ex-Officio Chair
Don Kimelman, Treasurer
Sulaiman Rahman, Secretary
In the News
Read ArticleLearn More