All students living in Philadelphia and Camden are eligible to enter the lottery for Mastery schools in the city where they live. However, some of our schools in Philadelphia have neighborhood preferences. Click here for details about those preferences.
Students do not have to take an entrance exam or meet academic requirements to attend Mastery schools. We give preference to students with siblings currently attending the school they are applying to.
Mastery serves grades K-12 in Philadelphia and Camden.
There are two ways to apply to a Mastery school:
- Online at masterycharter.org/enroll
- In person at one of our schools
In Philadelphia, our lottery schools are: Hardy Williams Elementary, Hardy Williams High, Lenfest Campus, Pickett Campus, Prep Elementary, Shoemaker Campus, Simon Gratz High*, Thomas Elementary and Thomas Campus. If you apply to those schools before the lottery deadline, you will be entered into the lottery which determines who receives an offer to enroll and who will be placed on the waitlist. If you apply to one of these schools after the lottery, you will automatically be placed on the waitlist and offered a seat if one is available.
Enrollment for all other Mastery schools in Philadelphia is on a rolling, first-come, first-served basis.
In Camden, all of our schools hold a lottery. If you apply after the lottery, you will be added to the rolling admission list and offered a seat if one is available.
* Seats are given first to students from the catchment. Lottery is only conducted if there are still seats available.
- September 20, 2019 – Applications open for the 2020-2021 school year
- January 27, 2020 – Deadline to apply to the lottery
- January 29, 2020 – School lottery
- February 12, 2020 – Family notified of lottery results by phone, email and letter home
For non-lottery schools, admission is first-come, first-served.
- January 14, 2020 – Applications open for the 2020-2021 school year
- March 31, 2020 – Deadline to apply to the lottery
- Week of April 27, 2020 – Family notified of lottery results by phone, email and letter home
We offer bus transportation to the following students in Philadelphia:
- Students in grades 1-6 at Prep Elementary and Hardy Williams Elementary. These are our only elementary schools that serve children from across the entire city.
- Students with special needs, at their parent/guardian’s request.
Like all other public schools in Philadelphia, we do not provide bus transportation to kindergarten students.
Students in grades 1-12 receive free SEPTA TransPasses to commute to school.
The following students in Camden receive bus transportation from the Camden County Educational Services Commission:
- All students in grades K-8 who live 2+ miles from the school
- All students in grades 9-12 who live 2.5+ miles from the school
Some Mastery schools provide courtesy bussing for students who live less than 2 miles from school. To find out if the school you are considering offers this service, please contact the school directly.
We do not provide public transportation tickets for Camden students.
All of our students receive free breakfast and lunch.
This varies by school. Please contact the school you are interested in to find out if they offer these services.
Combined, Mastery schools offer more than 280 extracurricular activities and enrichment programs, including football, lacrosse, student government and robotics. Activities vary by campus, so please reach out to schools directly for a complete list of their offerings.
All Mastery students are required to wear a uniform. Each school’s uniform is slightly different, but includes the following:
- Polo shirt (short or long-sleeved) with school logo and color
- Solid color pants, skirts, or knee-length shorts (for elementary schools only) in the school’s required color
- Belt (if necessary)
- Closed-toe, flat-soled shoes or sneakers
During the winter, students can wear sweaters and sweatshirts (including hoodies) with the Mastery logo.
Please contact the school to find out where to purchase uniforms.
Call our central office at 215-866-9000 extension 15001 or extension 15002.