Your Neighborhood School in Nicetown/Tioga
Simon Gratz High School is a neighborhood school serving over 1,100 students and their families in 9th through 12th grade. Simon Gratz is a high achieving school where students engage in a rigorous academic program that prepares them for postsecondary success. Students enjoy a strong sense of community and belonging in a safe environment, and opportunities for internships, athletics and a variety of after school programs. We have a caring and stable staff of teachers that return year after year to serve our students and families. Every student has a clear path after graduation-whether enrolling in a 4-year university or entering the workforce.
Simon Gratz offers an academically rigorous program designed to prepare all students for postsecondary success.
- Critical thinking skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Content Knowledge
- Leadership skills
- Several Electives and Varied Courses
- From introductory to college level
- AP courses and additional options available for highly motivated students
- STEM Honors Program offered in 9th grade
- Special Education Programming
- We serve all students
- Each students strengths and needs are considered
- Partner with families each step of the way
- College and Career Prep
- Sophomores complete an 18-week internship
- Seniors participate in college trips, a senior seminar course, get assistance with FAFSA form completion and receive support with the college application process
- Students graduate prepared with a plan to enter college, the workforce or a pathway of their choice
Simon Gratz offers a variety of athletic activities and clubs. Simon Gratz participates as a member of the PIAA (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association) within the District XII Public League.
Simon Gratz Football district divisional (5A) champions (2015 & 2016)
Some examples include:
- Art Club
- Comic Book Club
- Cross Country
- Debate Team
- Drama Club
- Drum Line
- Fashion Club
- Gay-Straight Alliance
- Hip Hop & Rap Production
- Livewire Dance Crew
- National Honor Society
- News Crew
- Open Mic
- Pick-up Basketball
- Photography and Film Club
- Poetry Slam Team
- Singers & Songwriters Studio
- Student Government
- Track and Field
- Video Game Club
- Yearbook Club
- Yoga Club
- The STEM Honors program offered at Gratz prepares students for college and the workforce through a rigorous program rooted in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) skills and concepts.
- Students learn critical and creative thinking skills, communication and collaboration, and real-world problem solving.
- The program uses Project Lead the Way, a hands-on design curriculum, and is aligned to Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards.
- In the 2017-2018 school year, the program at Gratz will be offered for grades 7-11 with the program expanding to serve grades 7-12 in the future.
- Students who are accepted to the program participate in various opportunities that accelerate their learning, such as engaging summer programs, dual enrollment, and STEM enrichment activities.
Life at GratzView Gallery
Peter Langer, Principal Grades 9-10
Nadia Bennett, Principal Grades 11-12
Madison Graboyes, Assistant Principal of Operations
David Kibelstis, Assistant Principal of Operations
Bob Victor, Ex-Officio Chair
Don Kimelman, Treasurer
Tony Payton Jr.