Your Neighborhood School in North Philadelphia
Mastery Charter Frederick Douglass Elementary is a neighborhood school serving grades K-8 in North Philadelphia.
When you walk through our doors, you can feel the students’ joy and excitement to learn, as well as the love our teachers and school leaders have for every child in the building. We pride ourselves on challenging our students academically and educating the whole child. That means along with the core classes of math, science and reading, we teach them the core values of respect, responsibility, hard work, teamwork and kindness.
Students who attend Douglass Elementary have the opportunity to attend our Simon Gratz High School, giving them a full K-12 Mastery experience.
- Students come to school on time, dressed in full uniform excited to start their day.
- Free breakfast!
- After breakfast, teachers welcome students to class and begin the morning meeting.
- Reading is very important, especially for students in grades K-2 when they are just learning how to read. That’s why our younger students have at least 2-3 hours of reading lessons each day.
- In addition to reading, students have math, social students and science classes.
- Time for lunch!
- After lunch, students in the lower grades have free play or a structured recess.
- In addition to our core classes, students also take physical education, music or a foreign language.
- Once the school day is over, it’s time for after-school clubs and our optional aftercare program.
Aftercare and a variety of after-school activities, sports and clubs are available, including:
Some examples include:
- Academic Enrichment
- Art Club
- Arts and Crafts
- Board Game Club
- Boys Club
- Cooking Zone
- Creative Writing Club
- Fitness Training
- Games Club
- Gardening Club
- Homework Support
- Reading Enrichment
- Yoga Club
Life at DouglassView Gallery
Bob Victor, Ex-Officio Chair
Don Kimelman, Treasurer
Graham Finney, Secretary