At Mastery, you can look forward to being surrounded by smart, dedicated educators who will challenge you to be a better leader each and every day. Mastery is a place where you can grow professionally and work with other adults who want the best for children. You will be given the resources and tools to move your team forward. You can count on giving and receiving feedback in a collaborative environment. Mastery leaders work together to ensure that all students show dramatic academic gains and develop the skills necessary to compete in the global economy. Each Mastery campus is driven by a comprehensive team of school leaders.
Hear From One of Our Leaders
"We're headed in the right direction with the proper balance of support."
Dr. William Hayes, Principal of East Camden Middle
The principal is responsible for the overall management of their school site. The principal drives all academic initiatives and manages staff to create a strong school culture. The principal also oversees professional development of the instructional and culture staff and builds a school family that values parents and community members.
The Assistant Principal of instruction works to ensure that every student reaches ambitious achievement goals for school-wide levels of mastery. He or she directly manages the implementation of the curriculum, analyzes data to inform teaching practices, and manages all instructional initiatives.
The Assistant Principal of School Culture is a visionary leader who drives a participatory, achievement-focused, and outcomes-driven school culture. The AP of School Culture leads a team of deans in supporting teachers in classroom management, creating and overseeing extracurricular activities that bridge school culture with academics, and fostering a high level of parental and community involvement.
The Assistant Principal of Operations designs and maintains smooth and efficient school-based systems and is responsible for all non-instructional services required to run the school. The Assistant Principal of Operations manages the day-to-day school financial operations, prepares the school campus for its founding year and each subsequent year, and administers critical data systems. The Assistant Principal of Operations works with families to enroll students.
The Assistant Principal of Specialized Services systematically identifies barriers to student achievement and creates strategic interventions to limit these barriers. The AP of Specialized Services seeks and develops the resources and tools necessary to make dramatic academic gains with our special needs students. The AP of Specialized Services ensures that the Individual Education Plans of all students are designed with the specific strategies needed to result in successful student outcomes.
The Apprentice School Leader Program is a highly selective one-year residency for future Mastery leaders to grow, plan and learn as they prepare to lead a Mastery school. ASLs are placed in existing Mastery schools and are integral members of the school community. ASLs drive achievement in their host schools and participate in leadership seminars throughout the year.
The ASL program is founded on these guiding principles:
- In-depth, experience-based management training will give you the tools to drive results.The ASL program links the everyday lessons learned in schools with high-impact management training. ASLs participate in training designed to build execution management skills, organizational communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Intensive support and planning time will set your team up for success. ASLs receive intensive support from Regional Schools Officers and consult with Mastery turnaround experts to prepare themselves for permanent placement at an existing or new turnaround school. ASLs charged with opening a new turnaround schools spend April through August creating school mission metrics, building instructional and operational teams, deepening relationships with school families and community members, and preparing their building facilities for the upcoming year.
Each year, the Apprentice School Leader Program selects the most talented developing leaders for the following positions:
- Apprentice School Leader-Principal
- Apprentice School Leader- Instruction
- Apprentice School Leader-Specialized Services
8th Year in a Row